Tuesday, November 27, 2007

From the beginning

So this is my first post. During my pediatric therapeutics class, we discussed extensively intern burnout and ways to cope with stress. It seemed like one of the stressors of the coming year is that family members and friends may not have a clear understanding of what is required of an intern or even what being an intern means. So I've decided that it would be important for me to be able to explain the structure ( I know, I know - boring . . .) and what the next 4 years will look like briefly.

I also wanted to use this blog to be able to share what has been happening in Ryan and I's neck of the woods. Plus, I love to tell stories from school:)

So right now I am currently interviewing an internal medicine and pediatrics combined residency program which is a 4 year residency. I will rank the programs at the end of January as they will also be ranking their candidates. Then the big computer "Matches" programs and medical students. So on "MATCH" day, March 20th, we are handed an envelope that tells us where we are going to spend the next 4 years training.

After I graduate in May I will finally earn the title of doctor. I will have the month of June off for moving time ( if we go to a residency out of state) and vacation. Then July 1, 2008 I will start my residency as a 1st year resident also known as an intern. The intern year is like boot camp for doctors. We have to stay overnight in the hospital every 4 days to manage the care of patients for several months of the first year of residency. I will work 6 days a week when I'm assigned a hospital service. According to the current residents, November-February are the hardest months because of long hours and little sunshine.

Then after the first year, I will be called a resident. I will still have hospital service months where I will be "on-call" overnight and then "outpatient" months where I will work primarily in a clinic.
Then when I have finished my 4 years- I will have a "real job". I am planning to work in primary care where I will see adult patients and children. I will be a little different than a family practice doctor in that I will not spend training in Obstetrics/gynecology OR surgery. I will be able to manage patients with chronic diseases, everyday illnesses, and well-child check ups. I have an interest in doing a little "transitional" care. Transitional care is important because there are a lot of children with chronic diseases of childhood such as cystic fibrosis, etc. who are now surviving long into their adulthood. This leaves children who had a pediatrician who knew every detail and turn the age of 18 and are expected to switch to an adult doctor. Internal Medicine-Pediatrics doctors offer the advantage of being able to manage theses patient's diseases from childhood to adulthood.

All right, enough information. I hope I didn't bore anyone to death. The next posts will be more energetic, I promsie!!!

2 comments:

jbrake said...

I wasn't BORED at all. Thanks for the update on what's ahead - we're looking forward to you and Ryan coming to visit for the long weekend while you interview here in Ann Arbor. All the best!

Anonymous said...

I love the blog too...thanks for writing about your life! It will be good to get the detailed scoop on the blog about what you guys are up to.

Jamie